Here’s a Thanksgiving trivia game, based on questions from Trivial Pursuit board games, and from my visit to the historic Plimouth Plantation in Massachussetts.
1. What fraction of all turkey consumed in the United States is eaten on Thanksgiving?
2. What state raises the most turkeys?
3. What snakelike creatures were served at the first Thanksgiving?
4. What snack treat was prepared at the first Thanksgiving by an Indian named Quadequina?
5. What Thanksgiving side dish did the Pilgrims find to be a cure for scurvy?
6. What was the first meal eaten on the moon?
7. What 20th-century U.S. president started the tradition of pardoning a turkey on Thanksgiving?
8. What president moved Thanksgiving to stimulate business in the United States?
9. What 19th-century president revived the national holiday of Thanksgiving, which had first been proclaimed by George Washington?
10. Which Founding Father wanted the turkey as the U.S. national symbol?
11. What store first sponsored its Thanksgiving Day parade in 1924?
12. On an episode of the “Friends” TV sitcom, who was the first character to get his head stuck in a Thanksgiving turkey?
13. On an episode of “The Simpsons” TV show, which character ran away from home after an argument during Thanksgiving dinner?
14. What family-focuses television series spanned Christmas 1933 to Thanksgiving 1947?
15. What holiday makes getting home a hardship in the movie, “Planes, Trains and Automobiles?”
6. Roast turkey
7. Harry S. Truman
8. Franklin Roosevelt
9. Abraham Lincoln
10. Benjamin Franklin
13. Bart Simpson
14. “The Waltons”
15. Thanksgiving (Duh!)