Since we’re into the holiday baking season, I’m giving away “100 Best Decorated Cookies.” To enter the prize drawing, leave a comment at the end of this blog post.
The designs and ideas look great for those who are just getting started. They are fun and festive, but not as intricate as some of the fabulous cookie art displayed on Pinterest and at places like CookieCon.
There are 750 color step-by-step photos. The book has a spiral-bound binding so it lies flat, so you can follow the photos without the pages shutting on you! (That was one thing I insisted on for my own cookbook, “Soup’s On!” and I’m glad I did.)
The book explains techniques, equipment and ingredients, and instructions for things like how to fill and use a pastry bag, or roll and shape cookies. There are also gluten-free and vegan options.
There are recipes for cookies such as Vermont Maple Sugar Cookies, Peanut Butter Sugar Cookies and Julie Anne’s Classic Vanilla-Orange Sugar Cookies.
Some of the decorating ideas include:
- Christmas: Stockings, Holly Leaf Place Cards
- Halloween: Haunted House & Tombstones, Witch and Broom
- Valentine’s Day: Message Hearts, Stained Glass Hearts
- Wedding: “Just Married” Car, Wedding Dress, Tuxedo
- Baby Shower: Baby Blocks, Baby Bottle, Rattle, Teddy Bear
- Winter: Snowflakes, Snowman, Mittens, Winter Hat
- Spring: Honey Bee and Hive, Umbrella and Raindrops, Butterfly
- Ocean/Water: Starfish, Octopus, Turtle, Lobster, Frog, Whale, Fish
- Sports: Baseball Hat, Ice Skates, Tennis Racquet, Football.
If you want to enter the prize drawing for the book, please leave me a comment at the end of this blog post. What kind of cookie would you like to decorate? Summer butterflies? Christmas snowflakes? Valentine’s Day hearts? Soccer or baseballs for your sports fans? (I’m not judging by the best comment, so don’t worry if you’re not super-creative or literary. Everyone will have an equal chance getting their name drawn!)
This Friday, Nov. 10, I’ll draw out a winner, and announce it on my blog. The winner can send me a snail mail address so I can put the book in the mail.